Since it was discussed at TREENET’s first symposium, the focus on tree species selection remains along with other factors which impact on the effective functioning of urban trees.
Growing healthy trees in urban streets where conflicts involving space, soil and water are usual is as much about planning for, building and managing urban spaces, as it is about selecting tree species.
Much has been written on tree species selection and related issues such as climate change and papers have been presented at past Symposia.
As TREENET was formed at the Waite Arboretum, it was inevitable that many of the original street tree trials focused on species planted there, which had proved themselves. Other trial species were contributed by the nursery industry.
Early trials included the Wilga (Geijera parviflora), Chinese pistachio (Pistachia chinensis) and Crows Ash (Flindersia australis).
In partnership with Macquarie University, TREENET has now released the ‘Climate Ready Street Tree Trials: A best practice guide’ to provide guidance and advice on designing and implementing a scientifically rigorous trial of street tree species in an urban context. The aim of the guide is to assist tree nurseries and local councils to consistently apply basic scientific principles so that:
- tree species suitability to changing local conditions can be tested, measured and evaluated
- a participative, co-designed approach to street tree trials can be implemented
- results can be compared with similar trials in other locations
- councils, tree growers and other agencies can collaborate to extend trials into new areas
- knowledge can be shared to increase species diversity and enhance urban forest resilience.
Check out the following resources which have been extracted from TREENET’s significant collection of academic papers and case studies:
- Experiments and Education: The Roadway Ahead – Judy Fakes
- Establishing TREENET Trial Sites
- Street tree trials in the City of West Torrens
- TREENET Trials 2009: A Species Odyssey
- Street tree trials in Brisbane City Council
- Tree for trials: a tree growers perspective
- Street Tree Trials – Avenues of Interest
- Assessing the Soils of TREENET Sites
- TREENET: New Tree Variety Assessment